Asbestos is dubbed by many H&S practitioners as the silent killer. And you can see why. There’s no cure for asbestos-related diseases, buildings still contain it and once it’s in the air you can’t detect it. If you breathe it in, then it could be fatal. And because it was so widely used throughout the 20th century, it presents a threat to maintenance staff, building workers and the public.
Which is why iAM Asbestos Awareness training is an essential part of all personnel and workplace compliance training. Treat this course as part of your business contingency plan to protect you, your business and your workers from harm.
- Understand the history behind asbestos and its legacy
- Understand how it affects people’s health
- Demonstrate procedures to deal with an emergency, e.g. an uncontrolled release of asbestos dust into the workplace
- Deal with an exposure or discovery of asbestos
- How to avoid the risk of exposure to asbestos
- Demonstrate a knowledge of relevant legislation
- Complete risk assessments
- Explain & put into place safe systems of work, e.g. safe methods and procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of the correct personal protective equipment (PPE) and be aware of occupational hygiene matters associated with asbestos handling
- Assess risks posed by the type and condition of building materials that contain asbestos
- Outline the requirements & records needed to be compliant
Complete the eModule to gain your certificate (subscription required).