This page has a selection of quick, free online and downloadable personality tests to help with self-awareness and knowing yourself.
- Personality and aptitude tests (psychometrics) are helpful for managing people and for understanding yourself. You should also consider using personality and aptitude tests if you are recruiting or developing people.
- A selection of personality tests and working style self-assessment tools are free to view and download below. Supporting diagrams and other tools are available at the free online resources section.
See the personality styles section for more information about personality styles and theories, psychometrics models and tests, including the Four Temperaments, Myers Briggs MBTI, Keirsey, Belbin, DISC and Benziger.
- You may use any the free tests and assessment materials below provided you acknowledge the copyright and this website. These materials are not to be sold or published and are not to be put onto any other website.
- We do not accept responsibility for any liability that arises from the use of these materials and you are strongly advised to seek local qualified advice if in any doubt about the use or positioning of these tools.
- Assessing people is a sensitive matter, and needs handling carefully - assessments and tests are positive development tools, not sticks with which to beat people. See the disclaimer notice below.
Personality tests and psychometrics instruments come in a wide variety of formats. Many are now free, although beware of using copied materials that are 'apparently' free because many are not and will be subject to licensing and copyright protection.
- Validated psychometric instruments and personality tests are commonly quite expensive and many require training and/or accreditation to administer.
- Scientifically validated tests cost the psychometrics providers a lot of money to develop, which is why these tests are rarely free.
If you are interested in psychometrics and personality testing it's useful to seek demonstrations and explanations before you buy. Training and Human Resources exhibitions are a good source of suppliers and new ideas.
- These various assessments and tests below are not scientifically validated - some are serious and reasonably solid instruments - others are obviously more light-hearted.
- Use them appropriately and be sensitive to people's feelings. Always seek permission before assessing people and always involve them in the analysis.
- Assess yourself too. Even the most basic instrument can be a very useful 'mirror' for your own attitudes and styles. It often helps to have another viewpoint, which is essentially what psychometrics and personality assessments provide.
- Mental concentration test - PDF file - mostly for fun - good for illustrating the need to read test questions before attempting answers
- New mental concentration test - MSWord version - mostly for fun - also good for illustrating the need to read test questions before attempting answers
- Multiple Intelligences test (based on Howard Gardner's model) - in MSExcel self-calculating format
- Multiple Intelligences test - manual test in MSExcel
- Multiple Intelligences test - manual test in pdf format
- Multiple Intelligences test - manual test for young people in MSExcel
- Multiple Intelligences test - manual test for young people in pdf format
- VAK learning styles test - MSWord version
- VAK learning styles test - pdf version
- 'The Alternative Dalai Lama Personality Test' - a piece of nonsense
- Original 'Dalai Lama Personality Test' - the original piece of nonsense
- VAK (Visual Auditory Kinesthetic) learning styles inventory short self-test - a quick indicator of preferred learning style
- Quick Maslow hierarchy of needs self-test (based on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)
- XY-theory individual and organisation test (based on McGregor's XY Theory)
- Take the online ethics test - fun with a serious message
- Ethical decision-making - just plain serious
- Skill Set and Behaviour self-assessment test (primarily for sales/commercial/business roles)
- Personal Business Strengths Profile self-assessment (for self-awareness, interview and appraisal preparation)
- Handwriting (graphology) self-assessment quick-test (for graphology training, self-awareness, interview and appraisal preparation)
- Benziger's Personality Types and Thinking Styles Theory
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Erikson's Psychosocial Theory of Human Development
- Graphology - Handwriting Analysis
- Kolb's Learning Styles Theory
- Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
- McGregor s X-Y Theory and William Ouchi's Theory Z
- McClelland's Achievement Motivation Theory
- Generational Nickmnames Model/Theory
- Personality Theories and Types