Don Miguel Ruiz's book, The Four Agreements was published in 1997. For many, The Four Agreements is a life-changing book, whose ideas come from the ancient Toltec wisdom of the native people of Southern Mexico. The Toltec were 'people of knowledge' - scientists and artists who created a society to explore and conserve the traditional spiritual knowledge and practices of their ancestors. The Toltec viewed science and spirit as part of the same entity, believing that all energy - material or ethereal - is derived from and governed by the universe. Don Miguel Ruiz, born and raised in rural Mexico, was brought up to follow his family's Toltec ways by his mother, a Toltec faith healer, and grandfather, a Toltec 'nagual', a shaman. Despite this, Don Miguel decided to pursue a conventional education, which led him to qualify and practice for several years as a surgeon. Following a car crash, Don Miguel Ruiz reverted to his Toltec roots during the late 1970's, first studying and learning in depth the Toltec ways, and then healing, teaching, lecturing and writing during the 1980's and 90's, when he wrote The Four Agreements (published in 1997), The Mastery of Love (1999), The Four Agreements Companion Book (2000), and Prayers (2001). Don Miguel Ruiz survived a serious heart attack 2002, since when his teachings have been largely channelled through seminars and classes run by his followers, notably his sons Don Jose Luis and Don Miguel Ruiz Junior. Like many gurus and philosophical pioneers, Ruiz has to an extent packaged, promoted and commercialised his work, nevertheless the simplicity and elegance of his thinking remains a source of great enlightenment and aspiration. The simple ideas of The Four Agreements provide an inspirational code for life; a personal development model, and a template for personal development, behaviour, communications and relationships. Here is how Don Miguel Ruiz summarises 'The Four Agreements':
- Be impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
- Don’t take anything personally - Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
- Don’t make assumptions - Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
- Always do your best - Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.
A life-changing book. Don Miguel Ruiz's simple guidance for life. This book - the original in the series - is widely available. Everyone should read it.
'The Four Agreements' summary is the intellectual property of Don Miguel Ruiz. No attempt is made here to exploit it - merely to review and inform.
More about The Four Agreements ideology, The Four Agreements book, Don Miguel Ruiz and Toltec philosophy at Don Miguel Ruiz's website.
- CAREER OR BUSINESS START-UP/DIRECTION PLANNER
- WRITING A CURRICULUM VITAE (CV)
- CYBERNETICS - SCIENCE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND CONTROL WITHIN SYSTEMS
- DANCE AND DANCING
- ELISABETH KUBLER-ROSS - FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF
- GOAL PLANNING
- ASSERTIVENESS TECHNIQUES AND SELF-CONFIDENCE
- "I AM" - A SCRIPT FOR SELF-HELP AND PERSONAL CHANGE
- LIFE BALANCE
- PAY RISES AND SALARY INCREASES
- PERSONAL CHANGE STAGES - JOHN FISHER
- REFLECTIVE PRACTICE
- STRESS AND STRESS MANAGEMENT
- TIME MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES, FREE TOOLS AND TEMPLATES
© The Four Agreements summary Don Miguel Ruiz 1997; review and contextual material Alan Chapman 2003-2009