quizballs 29 - christmas quiz - questions & answers
free christmas trivia quiz questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
This is a page from the Quizballs zone of the Businessballs website. Quizballs provides free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
Below are the quiz answers. Here are the quiz questions without answers.
Corrections and clarifications are at quizballs quizzes and corrections 1-200.
quizballs 29 - free christmas quiz - questions and answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- What date is St Stephen's Day? 26th December
- In Charles Dickens' novel A Christmas Carol, who was Scrooge's dead business partner? Jacob Marley
- The song White Christmas was first performed in which 1942 film? Holiday Inn
- London's Trafalgar Square Christmas tree is traditionally given by which country? Norway
- In the song The Twelve Days of Christmas, '...my true love brought to me nine...' what? Ladies dancing
- Name the original eight reindeer from the 'Twas the night Before Christmas' poem? Comet, Cupid, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Donner, Blitzen (or Dunder and Blixem - The poem is alternatively titled A Visit from St Nicholas. 'Twas the night Before Christmas' is the first line. The poem was first published anonymously in 1823 and is commonly attributed to Clement Clarke Moore, although some believe Henry Livingston was the true author. Rudolph was created later in 1939 by copywriter Robert May for the Montgomery Ward department store chain, as the main character in a free Christmas promotional story, which extended the 1823 poem, and was subsequently turned into the popular song Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Incidentally Donner and Blizten mean Thunder and Lightning in German.)
- Which Christmas carol includes the lyrics '...To save us all from Satan's power, when we were gone astray..'? God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- The character Jack Skellington appears in which 1993 Tim Burton film? The Nightmare before Christmas
- What colour are the berries of the mistletoe plant? White
- In the inspirational 1946 film, It's a Wonderful Life, what's the name of George Bailey's guardian angel? Clarence (Oddbody)
- What are the names of the three wise men said to have brought gifts to the baby Jesus? Balthasar, Melchior, Caspar (or Gaspar - Interestingly the Bible does not states state their names, nor even the number of wise men: "...there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem... and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh..." from Matthew 2:1 and 2:11. Thanks A Russell.)
- What is New Year's Eve called in Scotland? Hogmanay
- What Christmas item was invented by London baker and wedding-cake specialist Tom Smith in 1847? Christmas cracker
- In what year was Band-Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas the UK Christmas chart-topping record (bonus point each for the years of reissue success by Band Aid II and Band Aid 20)? 1984 (bonus points - Band Aid II was 1989, Band Aid 20 was 2004)
- In which modern country is St Nicholas's birthplace and hometown? Turkey (St Nicholas, bishop 'Nikolaos of Myra', 270-343AD, was born a Greek, i.e., of Greek parents in Patara, Lycia. He lived in and was bishop of Myra, Lycia. Patara and nearby Myra, in Lycia, or fully Lycia et Pamphylia, were then technically provincial territory of the Roman Empire with no specific country name. Patara became ruins centuries ago. Where the ancient town of Myra stood, now stands the Turkish town/district of Demre, Antalya Province, Turkey)
- Who wrote How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Dr Seuss
- From which country does the poinsettia plant originate? Mexico
- Who is officially credited as the author of Auld Lang Syne? Robert Burns
- How many points does a snowflake have? Six
- What is the name of the cake traditionally eaten in Italy at Christmas? Panettone
quizballs 29 - free quiz questions only for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes