Benefits of Equality
Equality - and the fostering and protection of diversity - are marks of good effective modern organisations.
- Correct actions reflect a positive image - incorrect actions reflect badly.
- The same applies to people too - individual employees, customers, managers - everyone.
Having this respect embedded into philosophy, policies and processes - and fully understood by all staff - is consistent with ethical leadership.
- Equality means treating people fairly: valuing and respecting people regardless of their natural characteristics.
- When an organisation values its people in this way, its people respond in kind - with loyalty, commitment and enthusiasm.
- Organisations which regard equality as a problem generally have problems in other aspects of operations, not least in the organisation's leadership.
- Good organisations see it as natural fairness and a force for good.
- Treating people fairly enables the organisation to benefit from everyone's strengths, and encourages people to support each other's weaknesses.
Aside from this, we live in a world which is now organised and connected globally.
- Borders and barriers are disappearing, people can largely live and work anywhere.
- The world's nations, societies and market-places now reflect this growing diversity.
Business and organisations need to respond to this new diverse landscape, and the best corporations increasingly align with it.
A diverse organisation which embraces equality is far more likely to possess a self-supporting mixture of people, capabilities and experience necessary to succeed in the modern world.