quizballs 379 - general knowledge quiz - questions & answers (more quizballs quizzes)
free general knowledge quiz questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
Quiz intro ...
This is a Businessballs Quizballs free quiz. Quizballs provides free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
Below are the quiz answers. Here are the quiz questions without answers.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
see the quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 379 - free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- Hieroglyphs are a very important language of symbols in what ancient civilization: Greek; Roman; Egyptian; or Middle-Earth? Egyptian
- The French word for morning came oddly to refer to (What?) afternoon event in English? Matinee (cinema/theatre - originally daytime performances were also in the mornings)
- What late-1700s US horse-drawn transport inspired modern vehicle names prefixed by: Space, Swamp, Kite, Dune, Remote-control and Shopping? Buggy (whose etymology is unknown)
- The radioactive chemical element made for the first time in the 1940s, named after the place of its discovery is: Francium; Americium; Sovietium; or Britannium? Americium (discovered in the US, technically named after the Americas)
- What handicraft takes its name from the French word for hook? Crochet
- The significant ancient Egyptian diety Horus (a man with a falcon's head) features the related '(What?) of Horus' symbol of protection/good health: Eye; Claw; Wing; or Beak? Eye
- What creature associated with crying is named from Greek 'worm of the stones'? Crocodile (kroke, pebble, and drilos, worm)
- The cube root of a third is (roughly/exactly): A half; A quarter; 9; or 0.69336127435? 0.69336127435 (roughly)
- The Austrian Nazi/SS member and engineer whose creations included the VW Beetle, Tiger/Panzer tanks, V1 flying bomb, and a car company which bears his name is Ferdinand (Who?): Mercedes; Benz; Porsche; or Audi? Porsche
- What old English coin took its name from being a quarter of a penny? Farthing (from fourth)
- Spell the word meaning fizzy/bubbly: Effervescent; Everfescent; Evervessant; or Effervecent? Effervescent
- What prefix makes respectively a place, a cheese, a cement, a part; and a case or set with the following: Said; Salut; Land; Ion, Folio? Port
- What is the uncrystalized syrup produced in the refining of sugar? Treacle (or Molasses, being black treacle)
- What is the traditional/modern language of Iran and old Persia, named from the latter? Farsi
- The fatty rump-end of a cooked fowl is called the 'Parson's (What?)': Thumb; Nose; Knob; or Knocker? Nose
- What girl's name originated in Greek legend of a beautiful woman, whose capture by the Trojan prince Paris began the Trojan War? Helen (or Greek Helene)
- What's the state capital of Mississippi USA, originally Le Fleur's Bluff, later named after a US president? Jackson
- The word eviscerate means to: Thrill; Embarrass; Flatter; or Disembowel? Disembowel
- What contradictory word-pair refers to a person's hostility manifesting as resistance? Passive-Aggressive
- What anthropomorphic term refers to a small lift for food/dishes/etc between a kitchen with a dining area? Dumb waiter (anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to something inanimate or not human - see lots more fascinating words for grammatical and literary techniques and language curiosities)
quizballs 379 - free quiz questions only for