quizballs 280 - general knowledge quiz - questions & answers
free general knowledge quiz questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
Quiz intro ...
This is a Businessballs Quizballs free quiz. Quizballs provides free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
Below are the quiz answers. Here are the quiz questions without answers.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
see the quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 280 - free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- What was the Twix chocolate bar called in mainland Europe pre-1991 (Scandinavia pre-2000)? Raider
- What main category of machines 'produce continuous power from a wheel/rotor, usually with vanes, revolved by fast flowing fluid'? Turbine (or turbomachine - for example a windmill)
- What native animal featured on the American nickel (five-cent coin) before the Thomas Jefferson design replaced it in 1938? Buffalo (or Bison)
- What is the most heavily populated river basin in the world? The Ganges
- What sort of alcoholic drink is made from the blue agave plant? Tequila
- The word 'Aloha', a friendly greeting, is originally from what Island's language? Hawaii
- Name the artist and his fellow artist model of the Nov 2013 record-breaking auctioned triptych (two answers, correct order)? Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud (called 'Three Studies of Lucien Freud' sold for $142m, £87m)
- The abbreviation SPQR featured notably in the statutory and military conventions of which civilization? Roman (SPQR = Senatus Populusque Romanus, 'The Roman Senate and People')
- Established in 1802 the 'Legion of Honour' (UK-English translation) is the highest civil or military award given in which nation? France
- A butterfly has how many legs? Six
- Amygdaloid refers to the shape of what nut? Almond
- A car battery is also known by the abbreviation SLI, which stands for what three crucial functions? Starting, Lighting, Ignition
- How many full years elapsed between the start of the year 17BC, and the start of the year 17AD? 33 (there is no year zero)
- What holds the greatest volume of fresh water on Earth: Rivers; Glaciers; Lakes; or Man-made systems (piped/stored/bottled, etc)? Glaciers
- German-British businessman Hans Snook founded which phone company in 1994? Orange
- Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia refer to human conditions of blood having low and high what: Pressure; Glucose; Fat; or Alcohol? Glucose
- What household item is the Australian-English 'doona', a genericized trademark registered by Kimpton Feather Mills Pty Ltd in 1973? Duvet (or Quilt, or Continental quilt)
- The hurdy gurdy is what sort of instrument: Percusssion; Wind; Brass; or Stringed? Stringed
- What is the connection between the £ sterling sign and astrology? Libra (meaning orginally scales/weight, and later a pound weight and money - see money history/terms)
- The Philippines comprises how many islands: 7; 71; 710; 7,107? 7,107 (Philippines disaster fund)
quizballs 280 - free quiz questions only for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes