quizballs 272 - general knowledge quiz - questions & answers
free general knowledge quiz questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
Quiz intro ...
This is a Businessballs Quizballs free quiz. Quizballs provides free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
Below are the quiz answers. Here are the quiz questions without answers.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
see the quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 272 - free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- The following words are each the suffix of which word in making five new words: Fat, Fly, Milk, Nut, and Scotch? Butter
- In music the term descant (or discant) normally refers to a melody or instrument in what range: High; Low; Middle; or Varying? High
- An oligarchy describes a leadership group comprising people who are: Few; Wealthy; Old; or New? Few (oligos is Greek for few)
- What tool has a grind, spine, fuller and ricasso? Knife (the grind is the cross-sectional profile of the blade; the spine is thick part of the blade; the fuller is a groove for reducing blade-weight [not to allow blood to flow away, as small boys tell each other]; and the ricasso is the top of the blade at the handle-end which has no ground/sharpened edge, for reasons of safe handling and/or production economy)
- Obsidian is a form of: Rock; Metal; Gas; or Liquid? Rock (volcanic glass)
- Semiotics is the study of what? Signs (and/or Symbols - including medical Symptoms - all of which are acceptable answers)
- The 1950-60s French-developed 'Séquentiel couleur à mémoire' was the first format for what in Europe? Colour/Color Television (commonly known as SECAM - it means literally 'Sequential Colour/Color with Memory')
- The German surname Müller refers to what occupation? Miller (or grinder)
- What shape is a sea urchin: Disc; Star; Sphere; or Horse? Sphere (usually with spines like a hedgehog)
- The human throat consists of which two main rhyming parts? Larynx and Pharynx
- What is the traditional English word best describing Gnocchi in Italian cuisine? Dumplings (of potato/dough)
- What traditional 'comic book' expression of annoyance is an adapted contraction of the pre-1800s oath 'God rot'? Drat
- The music genre 'Musique d'Ameublement' originated by Erik Satie in 1917 is commonly called '(What?) music' in English: Wallpaper; Furniture; Carpet; or Sofa? Furniture (literally 'furnishing music' - originally background music performed live)
- What common word in human body enhancement shares its root meaning with a word for the universe? Cosmetic/Cosmetics (from Greek kosmos, meaning order/adornment, as cosmos, the universe)
- Telltale, Mainsheet, Crosstree, Shroud and Forestay are parts of what? Yacht (or sailing boat)
- Which Spanish corporation bought the UK O2 phone corporation in 2005? Telefónica
- What is a rock containing a mineral/element, and is also a sub-unit of Scandinavian currencies? Ore
- The word 'disgust' derives from the Latin meaning of the human sense to: See; Hear; Touch; Taste; or Smell? Taste (Latin gustus, taste - from which also derives the word gusto meaning enjoyable energy)
- Which famous old UK three-letter bank brand relaunched via divestment from Lloyds in Sep 2013? TSB (Trustee Savings Bank)
- What is the common name of the lighter/fuel gas, formula C4H10? Butane
quizballs 272 - free quiz questions only for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes